High school students may be eligible for state or federal honors or awards based on their school performance. These honors look great on college applications, so students should be sure to apply for all awards and/or honors for which they qualify!
Golden State Merit Seal
- Students who demonstrate a certain level of mastery in their curriculum are eligible to receive a Golden State Seal on their high school diploma.
- Students must meet all eligibility criteria in at least 6 subject areas.
- Students usually meet these requirements towards the end of their high school journey. The counseling team reviews Golden State Merit criteria after each semester and will tag students as a Golden State Merit recipient if eligible.
- Recipients will receive a Golden State Merit seal on their diploma upon graduating from Cottonwood.
- For more information, please visit the Golden State Merit website.
State Seal of Biliteracy
- Students who have achieved a high level of literacy and fluency in one or more language(s) in addition to English will receive a California State Seal of Biliteracy on their high school diploma.
- Students must meet all eligibility criteria in order to demonstrate proficiency in one or more language(s) in addition to English.
- Students will need to complete the CAASPP in order to qualify.
- For more information, please visit the California State Seal of Biliteracy website.
- See the State Seal of Biliteracy flyer for more information.
National Honor Society/Junior National Honor Society
- The Cottonwood School maintains a chapter of the National Honor Society and the National Junior Honor Society.
- The chapters are bound by national standards and by-laws that each school must adhere to for membership. The NHS has operated for 100 years and is well- known as a prestigious society for student leadership and service development.
- More information on both groups can be found at: NHS and NJHS These websites should be shared with interested students/learning coaches.